Testosterone boosters are one of the most popular men’s health supplements. This sex hormone plays a vital role in muscle growth and libido, and can also affect mood, performance, fat loss, and sleep quality. Natural levels of testosterone peak in a man’s early adulthood, and decline steadily thereafter.
Testosterone boosters contain a range of herbal ingredients to promote optimum levels of naturally-occurring testosterone in the body. As the ingredients are natural, they are often seen as a safer alternative to some other products on the market, such as steroids and synthetic supplements.
The ingredients usually work by naturally encouraging more free testosterone in your body – i.e. that which is not already bound, and therefore unusable – and inhibiting oestrogen. Boosting the amount of free testosterone can lead to increased strength, stamina, and muscle mass.
To be safe, we would always recommend consulting your doctor before starting any testosterone supplement. If you’ve decided to go ahead and are looking for the best testosterone booster Australia has to offer, take a look at our top picks below, and our reasons for rating them.
Animal Test by Animal
Best for: Lifting and bodybuilding.Summary: Animal Test is a powerful hypertrophic, pro-testosterone supplement, perfect for hard-core athletes. It contains a pro-androgen complex, with potent natural compounds to boost testosterone, and anti-oestrogen ingredients to increase anabolic response. We think this is the best testosterone booster for lifting and muscle growth on the market.
Some of the key ingredients found in Animal Test are:
- Arachidonic Acid (AA): An Omega-6 fatty acid and proven hypertrophic agent. Greater availability of AA can lead to a stronger anabolic cascade and more muscle growth. It is understood to work by enhancing androgen receptor sensitivity and the inflammation of muscle fibres, ensuring maximum size increase.
- Polygonum Cuspidatum (trans-resveratrol): An anti-oestrogen, antioxidant herbal extract that can act as a ‘shield’ to inhibit unwanted oestrogens from reaching the hormone receptor.
- Urtica Dioica (3-4 divanillyl tetrahydrofuran): Stinging nettle extract which can inhibit sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) and enhance the activation of free testosterone.
- Cissus Quadrangularis: Contains effective anabolic ketersterones to promote anabolism and reduce catabolic stress hormones, helping to build muscle. It is also a powerful antioxidant that may promote ligament and joint health.
- Agaricus Bisporus (polysaccharides): This can help to stop any estrogenic response to new free testosterone.
- Bioperine: A patented, absorption-enhancing ingredient that may increase uptake and efficiency.
- Amplifies natural testosterone levels.
- Great for intense training; best testosterone booster for lifting.
- Helps experienced athletes achieve explosive gains.
- Patented Arachidonic Acid helps to ensure maximum muscle growth.
- Can also improve focus, performance and recovery.
- Maybe too potent for beginners.
- One of the pricier testosterone boosters on our list.
Recommended dose: The recommended dose is 1 pack daily with food. On training days, this should be taken with your last meal before a workout; on off days, with any meal. Make sure to stay hydrated. You can take it daily for 2 consecutive cycles of 21 days each and should then take a 4-week break.
Alpha Jupiter by ATP Science
Best for: Men over 40; Vegans.
Summary: Alpha Jupiter contains a blend of herbal ingredients to naturally boost testosterone levels, increase libido, and restore balance in the body. The specific ingredients may be particularly beneficial to older males, and we think this could be considered the best testosterone booster for men over 40.
A few of the natural ingredients found in Alpha Jupiter include:
- Mineral Pitch (Shilajit): A substance found primarily in the Himalayas that has been shown to increase sperm count and motility in some studies. It was also found to boost testosterone levels in another study of men aged 45 – 55 years.
- Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia): A medicinal plant that can boost testosterone levels, increase energy, and ease some symptoms of male aging.
- Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum): This powerful medicinal plant contains furostanolic saponins that have been shown in some studies to increase serum testosterone levels – as well as mood, libido and sperm count. However, other studies have found no correlation.
- Stinging Nettle (Urtica diocica): Allows the enhanced activation of free testosterone, promoting strength gain and improved focus.
- Asian ginseng (Panax Ginseng): An Asian plant ingredient that is popular in traditional Chinese medicine, and may help with energy levels and erectile dysfunction.
- High-quality ingredients at optimal doses.
- Restores balance in your body.
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free formula.
- No GMO ingredients, artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners.
- ATP Science has a 5-star food rating in Australia.
- Perhaps more suited to older users; may not be as beneficial to young adults.
Recommended dose: Take 2 capsules a day, with food or in a smoothie. Not suitable for children under 15, pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Alpha Switch by Switch Nutrition
Best for: Increasing libido.
Summary: This 100% natural formula contains a precise blend of herbs to boost free testosterone and increase hormone receptor sensitivity (HRS). The team at Switch Nutrition have combined the best of Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine with modern nutritional knowledge and biochemical pathways, to create one of the best natural free testosterone booster supplements – particularly for those suffering from stress or low libido.
Some of the active ingredients in the Alpha Switch formula are:
- Fenugreek: This seed extract may have a positive impact on testosterone levels in the body – although more research is needed.
- SA3XTM Spilanthes acmella: Traditionally used for its pain healing properties (including as a treatment for toothache), this food product contains a compound called Spilanthol, which has been found to have testosterone boosting, aphrodisiacal and vasorelaxant properties, among others.
- Ashwagandha: A herb used in ancient Indian medicine that can help your body control stress. It may affect testosterone levels, sexual function and sperm quality.
- Shilajit: This tar-like substance is traditionally known as ‘the destroyer of weakness’ and has been shown to increase testosterone levels in some studies.
- Magnesium Citrate: Has been found to increase the amount of free and total testosterone in men, and help with oestrogen balance.
- Vitamin B5: Helps to maintain a healthy digestive system, and to form sex and stress-related hormones.
- Best testosterone booster to increase libido.
- Supports and balances hormones.
- Can improve mood, performance and recovery.
- 100% natural formula.
- Only contains 160mg of Magnesium Citrate per 4 caps, whereas the recommended dose for men is 400mg per day.
Recommended dose: Take 2 capsules a day – 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening.
Triandobol Test Alpha by BSC
Best for: Fat loss.
Summary: Triandobol Test is here to bring out your inner alpha! Its combination of herbs, amino acids and minerals can assist with boosting your bioavailable testosterone, leading to increased muscle strength and libido. Used in combination with an appropriate exercise program, it may also help you to lose fat.
Some of the best testosterone boosting ingredients in Triandobol Test are:
- Tribulus Terrestris (Bulgarian Tribulus): This flowering plant is common in traditional medicine and some believe it can improve sexual function and libido. Both the root and fruit are included in this formula.
- Trigonella foenum-graecum (Fenugreek) seed: A popular herbal extract that has been found to increase testosterone, sexual function, and quality of life in some studies.
- Epimedium sagittatum (Horny Goat Weed): Used in traditional Chinese medicine, the active ingredient epimedium is said to be an aphrodisiac and to help with erectile dysfunction. However, this has not been studied, and you should first consult your doctor if you are experiencing this symptom.
- Aspartic acid: A natural amino acid that some studies suggest increases your levels of follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormone, leading to higher testosterone levels and sperm production.
- Zinc oxide: Zinc is an essential mineral that contributes to multiple processes in your body. Some research has found that low zinc can negatively affect testosterone levels, sexual health and fertility.
- Vitamin B6: An important vitamin believed to play a role in the action of testosterone.
- Can enhance muscular strength, stamina, and libido.
- Perhaps the best testosterone booster for fat loss.
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free formula.
- Available in a smaller quantity for a more affordable price.
- Equivalent Zinc in two tablets is equal to 25mg a day, which is significantly less than the recommended supplementation of 50mg.
- It may take a while before you notice any effect.
Recommended dose: Take 2 tablets daily, or as recommended by your healthcare professional. It is best taken in 8-week cycles, with a 1-week break in between.
Boom Stick by Redcon1
Best for: Young adults.
Summary: By helping to increase your levels of naturally-occurring testosterone, Boom Stick can boost your energy and stamina during a workout. It may also help improve your libido and sexual function. High levels of vitamin D3 make it a great choice for all ages, including young adults who may spend more time indoors working and studying than out in the sun.
Some of the ingredients that Boom Stick contains include:
- Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol): A natural hormone that helps to support muscle function. Some studies have found that supplementing with 3000iu a day can increase testosterone in the body by up to 25%.
- Magnesium (Magnesium Aspartate): A mineral that can support cardiovascular health, and which has been shown to increase levels of free and total testosterone.
- D-Aspartic Acid: An amino acid that is involved in the synthesis of testosterone, and may help to raise levels.
- Ashwagandha Root Extract (root): One of the most well-known supplements for its positive effect on testosterone production and sperm quality.
- Tribulus Terrestris (fruit): Studies have found this herbal ingredient increases testosterone in animals – although this does not seem to be the case for humans.
- Diindolylmethane (DIM): Affects oestrogen metabolism and supports free testosterone without altering the overall amount of testosterone in the body, helping to maintain healthy levels.
- Natural testosterone booster.
- High quantity of vitamin D3.
- May increase your performance, energy and stamina.
- Can boost your sex drive.
- A recommended dose of 3 tablets per serve means there are fewer servings per container, pushing up the cost.
- Contains a relatively low 100mg of magnesium per serve.
Recommended dose: For best results, take 3 capsules, 3 times a day (9 capsules in total) with food.
What is the best testosterone booster, Australia?We think Animal Test is one of the best testosterone booster supplements available in Australia. The highly potent formula is designed to boost free testosterone and inhibit oestrogen, and it is ideal for athletes and bodybuilders looking to gain muscle fast.
Do testosterone boosters work?
This depends on the individual, but if used in conjunction with a healthy diet and exercise regime, testosterone boosters may be effective at helping to increase your gains, tackle low libido, and boost your stamina and performance.
Why do I need to take testosterone boosters in cycles?This is to prevent receptor attenuation, where your receptors become desensitised to the testosterone and eventually burn out. This can lead to a whole host of problems, so always follow the recommended dosage pattern, or whatever your doctor advises.
Are testosterone boosters bad for you?
Be wary of any supplement that claims to be the ‘best healthy testosterone booster’ – the truth is there is limited research into the side effects and long-term safety of many of the ingredients found in testosterone boosters.
You should always consult your doctor before taking supplements and make sure you have dietetic or medical supervision. Avoid testosterone boosters if you are under 16, pregnant or breastfeeding.