A simple approach to eating healthily everyday without going on a diet
Wellness coach Kavisha Jega doesn't like diets and never advocates going on one. Here is her no-fuss way to eat (without dieting) that will keep you glowing and feeling amazing everyday.
Say bye-bye to these foods…
- Sugar: Refined sugar is addictive, fattening and a leading cause of diseases like obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
- Seed and Vegetable Oils: Soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, rice bran oil. These are processed fats with a high amount of Omega-6 fatty acids, which are harmful in excess.
- Trans Fats: Chemically modified fats that are extremely bad for health. Found in some processed foods.
- Artificial Sweeteners: Despite being calorie free, observational studies show a massive correlation with obesity and related diseases.
- “Diet” and “Low-Fat” Products: Most of these “health foods” aren’t healthy at all. They tend to be highly processed and loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Highly Processed Foods: Foods that are highly processed are usually low in nutrients and high in artificial colours, flavours and chemicals.
Eat more of these foods that will make you feel awesome…
- Fruit and Vegetables: Contain fibre and many nutrients that are essential for the human body. Eat fruit everyday and vegetables at EVERY MEAL.
- Organic Meat: Beef, lamb, pork, chicken, etc. Unprocessed meat is good for you, especially if the animals ate natural foods (like beef from grass-fed cows).
- Fish: Healthy, satisfying and rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and other nutrients. You should eat fish (preferably fatty fish like salmon) every week. Tinned sardines are also fantastic.
- Eggs: Eggs are the perfect little package of protein + fat. The yolk is the most nutritious part so make sure you eat it! Choose organic and free range.
- Nuts and Seeds: Rich in various nutrients. Eat in moderation everyday.
- High-Fat Dairy: Cheese, cream, butter, full-fat yogurt, etc. are rich in healthy fats and calcium. Dairy from grass-fed cows will be rich in Vitamin K2, which is very important for health. Always choose organic dairy.
- Fats and Oils: Avocado, extra virgin olive oil, butter, ghee, coconut oil. Do not fear the fat. Use saturated fats (butter, coconut oil, ghee) for cooking.
At the end of the day it’s important to remember to just eat “Real food”. Minimally processed, no packaging, seasonal, local and organic whenever possible!
Holding a Masters degree in Wellness, Kavisha works to promote optimal health and wellbeing by teaching people how to move away from processed foods and towards a more nourishing whole foods diet. Her educational seminars and cooking workshops draw on her knowledge of whole food cooking and passion for wellness to show everyday people that healthy eating can be easy and attainable. A lover of all things food and travel, Kavisha also has a wellness travel practice, which focuses on connecting health savvy travellers with good food by showcasing local, organic and whole food experiences all over the world.