When choosing a mass gainer, you should check the calorie content, as this can vary widely between brands and products. Look for an ingredient profile that contains a high amount of protein and carbohydrates, but is low in sugar, fat and artificial ingredients.
Mass gainer supplements should only be used in conjunction with a balanced diet and not used to replace food altogether. If you’re aiming to build muscle, you’ll need to put the work in in the gym too.
Here at Fit Nutrition, we stock a wide range of mass gainers to help you bulk up fast. Check out our top picks below to find the best mass gainer Australia has to offer you in 2022.
Top 6 Best Mass Gainers:
Incredible Mass by Evolve
First on our list of the best mass gainers in Australia is Incredible Mass by Evolve. This protein powder is designed to be taken after a workout, to help maximise your muscle gains – and with a mid-level 556 calories per serve designed for maximum absorption, it should achieve just that.
It contains a relatively high amount of protein and 78.3g of carbohydrates, including wholefood sweet potato. The blend of fast and slow-release protein and carbs makes it suitable to take between meals and pre or post-workout. This is one of the best mass gainer protein powders for high-cardio athletes and bodybuilders.
Promilin Fenugreek Extract helps your body digest and absorb nutrients and there are also Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) oils and healthy fats for energy. If you want to increase the protein and calorie content of this mass gainer further, Evolve suggests mixing it with milk instead of water.
Calories: 556 per serve
Macronutrients: Carbohydrates 78.3g | Protein 48.8g | Sugar 31.3g | Fat 3.3g
- Mid-level calorie intake for optimum absorption
- Blend of fast and slow-release carbs and protein for all-round use
- Supports lean mass gain, ideal for athletes
- Full serve of creatine for enhanced performance and muscular recovery
- Patented Promilin Fenugreek extract to enhance digestion, nutrient absorption and hormonal balance
- Australian-based company with premium-quality ingredients
- Only 3 flavour options
- High sugar content
Serious Mass by Optimum Nutrition
Serious Mass is some of the best mass gainer powder on the market for those looking to bulk up fast. It offers the highest calories per serve of all our top muscle gainers, at 1250 per serve. Each serving contains 250g of carbs, to give you energy for your workout, and 50g of protein, to help build muscle.
This option is ideal for larger athletes with intense muscle needs, and one of the best mass gainers for bodybuilding. The formula also contains creatine, glutamine and glutamic acids, to help replenish glycogen and aid recovery after a workout, and there are 25 essential vitamins and minerals to support your overall health and wellbeing.
Serious Mass is available in 4 flavour options, including chocolate and vanilla. A serving consists of 2 scoops (although new users should start with half that) and can be taken in a shake. We recommend spreading the serving out throughout the day and consuming as a snack between meals rather than around workouts, for maximum absorption.
Calories per serve: 1250 per serve
Macronutrients: Carbohydrates 252g | Protein 50g | Sugar 20g | Fat 4.5g (Chocolate)
- Highest calorie serve of all our top mass gainers
- Suitable for larger athletes with more intense requirements
- 252g of carbohydrates per serve
- Boosts energy and muscle mass
- Contains creatine for additional muscular performance
- Contains a wide array of vitamins and minerals to support general wellbeing
- Not suitable for your everyday punter
- One of the pricier options per serve
- Large serving size of 334g - you should break this up for better absorption
MRE by Redcon1
MRE by Redcon 1 contains a considerably lower 530 calories per serve, which might make it one of the best mass gainers for women or those with more typical needs. With 75g of carbohydrates, and still a high 47g of protein, it’s great for those of an average build looking to gain muscle.
The formula contains a variety of animal proteins, including beef, salmon and chicken – so it’s not suitable for vegans, but great for those who want to avoid too much dairy. The carbohydrates come from rolled oats and sweet potato, and MCT oil gives your body a dose of the fats it needs for energy. There’s also plenty of nutrients, antioxidants and fibre.
MRE comes in an impressive range of 9 flavours, from Apple Pie to Key Lime, so there’s sure to be one for everyone. As well as a mass gainer supplement, this option can also double as a meal replacement, for a limited time.
Calories per serve: 530 per serve
Macronutrients: Carbohydrates 75g | Protein 47g | Sugar 5g | Fat 4g
- Can double as a meal replacement
- Whole animal protein is easier to digest for those who don’t do well with a high dairy intake
- Contains healthy wholefoods, including superfood Goji berry, for added nutrients and antioxidants
- High fibre content for gut health and satiety
- Caffeine, dairy and nut-free
- Good range of flavour options
- Not suitable for vegans
Clean Gainer by Rivalus
Another mass weight gainer with a similar calorie content as MRE is Clean Gainer by Rivalus. However, this option contains a higher amount of carbohydrates, and lower protein. The protein is sourced from a mixture of fast, medium and slow-release whey and milk proteins, and micellar casein.
The carbohydrate blend includes organic blueberry powder, quinoa, ginger powder and rice bran, among other ingredients. The combination of vitamin and mineral-packed whole foods, essential fatty acids and digestive enzymes makes this a high-quality option for lean muscle mass and weight gain.
The overall amount of calories per serve is 560, although the brand specifies that you could take an additional serving throughout the day if necessary. It can be used as a snack, or post-workout for recovery.
Calories: 560 per serve
Macronutrients: Carbohydrates 90g | Protein 30g | Sugar 8g | Fat 7g
- Superfood blend full of vitamins and antioxidants
- Low GI carbohydrate for sustained release
- Blend of fast, medium and slow-release dairy-based protein for sustained release absorption
- Contains healthy fats and digestive enzymes
- Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) support muscle growth
- No artificial ingredients
- One of the cheaper options per serve
- 8g of sugar per serve is relatively high
Natural Mass by Prana On
Natural Mass is the only mass gainer in our selection that is suitable for vegans, making it a great choice for those who follow a plant-based diet, or who have a dairy intolerance. The plant-packed formula has a low GI, so it is broken down more slowly and the energy is released steadily over time.
At 402 calories per serve, this organic mass gainer contains the lowest calories of any on our list, but still a respectable amount of carbohydrates (43.4g) and protein (30.2g), sourced from pea and rice protein. The inclusion of patented CreaPure creatine ensures enhanced nutrient absorption.
This option has the highest fat content per serve, but this comes from healthy, wholefood ingredients, such as golden flaxseed and MCT oil. The formula also contains many of the desirable ingredients of other mass gainers, including essential amino acids and a digestive enzyme blend to aid digestibility and absorption.
Calories: 402 per serve
Macronutrients: Carbohydrates 43.4g | Protein 30.2g | Sugar 6.3g | Fat 11.5g
- Organic, gluten-free formula
- Offers 30g of plant-based protein
- Low GI for sustained release energy
- Contains patented CreaPure creatine for enhanced absorption and performance
- Contains digestive enzymes to increase absorption
- Contains flaxseed and MCT for essential fats and fibre
- Suitable for vegans
- Lowest calories per serve
- Limited flavour options
Home Made by Axe & Slade Supplements
Home Made is the final entry on our list of the best mass gainers, Australia. This natural mass gainer can be used to boost your daily calorie intake when bulking. It contains 46g of carbohydrates and 48g of protein, which is relatively high, while the sugar content is low. Low GI carbohydrates help control blood sugar levels and keep hunger at bay.
The ingredients include whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, beef protein, sweet potato, egg whites, wholegrain oats and pea protein. The blend of animal, plant and dairy-based protein ensures an even spread of amino acid delivery.
There is also 10g of dietary fibre and a digestive enzyme blend, to help your body absorb the nutrients. The healthy, wholefood ingredients of this mass gainer make it suitable to use as a meal replacement (as long as it’s not every meal) or as an addition to your diet between meals.
Calories: 420 per serve
Macronutrients: Carbohydrates 46g | Protein 48g | Sugar 3g | Fat 6g
- Made from wholefood-based ingredients full of vitamins and minerals
- Blend of animal, plant and dairy-based protein for even spread of amino acid delivery
- Contains chicken broth powder for additional collagen intake and connective tissue support
- Low GI for sustained energy release
- Low sugar to help control insulin levels
- Contains digestive enzymes to assist with digestion and absorption
- Pleasant taste (try the peanut butter cookie flavour!)
- Lower calorie content
- Not suitable for vegans
What is the best mass gainer in Australia today?
The best mass gainer powder for you will depend on your dietary needs, fitness program and size goals. One of the best high-calorie options to get you started in 2022 is Evolve Incredible Mass.
What is the best organic mass gainer?
We think the best organic mass gainer is Natural Mass by Prana On. This vegan mass gainer supplement contains a variety of wholefood ingredients and healthy fats, with nothing artificial added.
What is the best cheap mass gainer?
If you’re looking for the best mass gainer price in 2022, check out Clean Gainer by Rivalus. This option currently offers the lowest cost per serve of all the mass gain protein powders on our list.
What is the best mass gainer for skinny guys?
If you’re skinny, the best mass gainer to gain weight fast could be Serious Mass by Optimum Nutrition. This is some of the best mass gainer protein Australia has available to those of a slimmer build.
What is the best mass gainer for women?
We think the best mass gainer for women is MRE. Women generally need to consume fewer calories than men of a similar activity profile and this is one of the lower-calorie options – whilst still containing enough carbs and protein to give you energy and help you build mass.
Are mass gainers safe?
Mass gainers vary widely and, as with all supplements, you should always research the ingredients and consult your doctor before taking one, to make sure it is suitable for you. This is especially true if you are pregnant, have a health condition, or are taking medication. Mass gainers should only be used alongside a healthy, balanced diet.