Pizza lovers rejoice! A slice of this is completely guilt free
Pizza is one of those favourite comfort foods that so many people love, despite it traditional versions being less than healthy! “Cheesy, gluten-y, salty pizza – not so good for our heart, skin and digestion,” says Jessica Sepel, nutritionist and author of The Healthy Life. But there is a solution: the low carb, wholefood cauliflower base, topped with any array of healthy goodies. “The body will love you for this alternative,” says Jessica, “I top my personal pizza with leek, mushroom, Parmesan and rocket.” Delicious!
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 free-range or organic egg, lightly beaten
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp. finely chopped sage
- 1 tsp. cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil
- Himalayan salt and ground pepper
- Toppings of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan-forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until it’s the consistency of fine crumbs. You can either steam the cauliflower first or use it raw; it works both ways.
- Place the cauliflower in a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. The key is to make a crisp pizza base.
- To a mixing bowl, add the cauliflower and combine with the egg, onion, spices, herbs, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place the cauliflower mixture in the centre of the tray. Lay a second sheet of baking paper on top and use your palms or a rolling pin to flatten into a circle.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the base is firm and slightly browned.
- Remove from the over and top with your favourite ingredients. You may also want to add more seasoning, plus some extra olive oil.
- Return the pizza to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and cool for a few minutes before slicing.