- Posted by:
- Temporary User
If you can’t get in for your daily FIT green blend, this is the next best thing!]
Green smoothies may have become the latest hipster accessory but that doesn’t stop them fulfilling their original purpose as a nutrition powerhouse. It’s an easy way to squeeze plenty of dark green leafy vegetables into your diet, such as spinach kale or even broccoli, in a delicious and easy-to-drink beverage. Blending it up also ensures the produce has already been broken down and the nutrients are therefore highly bioavailable.
Sounds simple, yet it doesn’t always go to plan. Most people on a health kick have had at least one experience with a green smoothie gone wrong that ended up down the sink, so FIT are sharing our fail-proof guide that will have you drinking your silverbeet with pleasure.
Don’t forget to visit the FIT crew in store for one of our famous smoothies and learn a few tips from our maestro blenders while you’re there.
- 2-3 large handfuls of greens E.g. Kale, cos lettuce, spinach, silverbeet
- 1 cup / piece of fruit (recommended: use frozen for a creamier consistency and chilled temperature, experiment with different combinations) E.g. banana, mango, berries, pineapple, apple, pear, kiwi, avocado
- ½-1 cup vegetables (optional) E.g. cucumber, celery, zucchini, broccoli
- 200-300ml liquid (depending on preferred consistency) E.g. coconut water, non-dairy milk (almond is delicious), water
All supplements available at our FIT retail store, where you will also receive personalised advice on which ones are right for your goals.
- 1-2 serves of superfoods E.g. Chia seeds, maca, acai, coconut oil, camu camu, spirulina, greens powder
- 1-2 serves supplements E.g. Acetyl L-carnitine, glutamine
- 1 serve protein powder E.g vegan protein powder or whey protein
- Wash produce and remove any hard, fibrous parts from the greens (such as kale stems)
- Add liquid to the blender, followed by the greens and vegetables. Top with fruit, as this is heavier and will help weigh the rest down for easy blending. The fruit should be in small chunks, whether fresh or frozen
- Add your chosen superfoods, protein powder and/or supplements
- Combine all ingredients on high speed until smooth
- Tip: if using fresh fruit, you may add a handful of ice to chill the smoothie down
Serve immediately and enjoy!